Events The 12th Hamilton Flute Festival
The 12th Hamilton Flute Festival
13-14 April 2019
With Special Guest Artist Joshua Batty
Principle Flute, Sydney Symphony Orchestra
A weekend of autumn flute events for less than the cost of a single lesson! Warm up your term 2 flute studies in 2019 with a weekend of workshops, masterclasses, ensemble playing and performances featuring Guest Artist Joshua Batty. We are fortunate to secure this flutist and teacher for a weekend of flute activities.
The weekend is designed for flutists from approximately Grade 4 and above and of all ages (including performance majors and teachers). We will again have several split classes to cater for our junior and senior players at the same time.
For those who wish to apply, there is the chance to perform for Joshua in a masterclass setting.
The event will conclude late on Sunday afternoon with a small recital of performances from throughout the weekend, including a performance by Joshua.
There will be trade stands including instruments and music available to view and purchase.
The registration desk and trade stands will be open from 9am on Saturday morning and classes will begin at 10am. We'll be finished by 5:30pm Saturday and recommence at 9am Sunday, finishing after the closing concert on Sunday (approx. 4:30pm). Tea and coffee will be provided but please bring your own lunch each day.
Workshops with Joshua
Pit Stop Flute Fundamentals
• Volume 1 – Dynamic control, resonance, colour, breathing and vowels shapes
• Volume 2 – Articulation, intonation, technique, mental agility regarding technique
• Senior – Joshua will work with 2 performers who have applied to perform (Grade 8 and above level)
• Junior – Joshua will work with 3 performers who have applied to perform (levels up to Grade 7)
• By popular demand the return of the 5 min Masterclass – Joshua will work with flutists for a short period to give solutions for issues relevant to each flutist. No application required, just a sense of bravery on the day.
• Flute Ensembles – a chance for all to play in a group setting at their appropriate level. The ensembles will present their finished products in the closing concert.
• The Hamilton Flute Festival Concert – featuring performances by Joshua, masterclass performers, Flute Festival Ensembles.
• Lunchtime Forums – There will be a teachers forum and an adult learners forum during lunch on Sunday to discuss topics of interest.
• Trade Stands
About Joshua Batty
Joshua began his studies at Chetham's with Gitte Marcusson, Richard Davis and Katherine Baker, during which he became Principle Flute of the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain. He was awarded a full scholarship from the Royal Academy of Music where he studied with Michael Cox completing his BMus in 2014.
Joshua has guested as Principle Flute with the London Symphony Orchestra, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Academy of St Martin in the Fields, BBC Symphony Orchestra, Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Bergen Philharmonic, Malaysia Philharmonic Orchestra to name a few.
Joshua is the former Principle Flute of the RTE Concert Orchestra, Dublin (2015-17), a tutor of flute at the Royal Northern College of Music and most recently became Principle Flute of the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.
Hamilton Flute Festival Application Form
Applications accepted right up to day of event with late fee payment but early applications appreciated.
Please download and complete the application form:
15 Augusta St
Hamilton 3214 Ph 07 855 7909
Proudly brought to you by: